Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Thursday, August 22, 2013

Goodnight Moon! (and Happy Birthday to Claude Debussy...)


We didn't see a cow jumping over Tuesday night's  "Blue" Moon , but nonetheless we could not stop gazing up at it during our impromptu dinner outside by our pool!



It got me thinking about some of my favorite literary full moons...

Best Literary Moons:
Poetry: The Song of the Jellicles, T.S. Elliot
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (Dutch Lullaby), Eugene Field
A Full Moon is Rising (collection of poems), Marilyn Singer

Picture Books:
Goodnight Moon, and Wait Til the Moon is Full, Margaret Wise Brown
White is the Moon, Valerie Greeley
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me, Eric Carle
I'll See You When the Moon is Full, Jim and Susi Gregg Fowler
Owl Moon, Jane Yolen

Non-Fiction:
The Moon Book, Gail Gibbons


Do you have any favorites to add?  I hope you got to enjoy the full moon too - the next Blue Moon isn't set to occur until 2015.

By the way, did you see today's Google Doodle, commemorating the birth of Claude Debussy, composer of the beautiful Clair de Lune ("Moonlight" in French)?

4 comments:

  1. I love Happy Birthday, Moon. Simple story, simple illustrations, very sweet.
    http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Birthday-Moon-Moonbear-Frank/dp/0689835442/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377206939&sr=8-1&keywords=happy+birthday+moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CUTE - I'd never seen this one! We had a Frank Asch book that my kids loved when they were little - "Milk and Cookies". The Bear family goes to Grandma and Grandpa's house for an overnight visit. From the time they were babies, my Dad would take my kids outside to "go see the moon" when we'd stay over, so we think of him when we see a beautiful moon (especially a full one). I have to get this book for my grandson. :)

      Delete
  2. You know I cannot resist a beautiful full moon! Thanks for mentioning "White is the Moon".

    ReplyDelete