Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Saturday, July 2, 2016

Scandi Bound

Very soon I'll be making a trip of a lifetime to Scandinavia with my mom and three sisters, so I'll be away from my blog for awhile.  I'm taking my worn copies of Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter Trilogy to read on the plane.


I can't wait to see the fjords and stave churches of Norway, see the traditional Scandinavian folk costumes, and taste the yummy smorgasbord foods and pastries in Sweden and Denmark (I've had a Danish preview in Solvang, CA)!

If I had a granddaughter, I'd be tempted to bring back a traditional Norwegian bridal crown like this one! (photo cred: Milk Magazine Dec 2010)  The little girl modeling it reminds me of Anja from The Christmas Wish!


My three and a half year old grandson Peter loves this book by Swedish author Elsa Beskow!  She is often called the "Beatrix Potter" of Scandinavia.  (Go here to read my past post about her books.)


I'll be back soon!  In the meantime, click here for my past posts about other favorite Scandinavian stories, including some by Astrid Lindgren and Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire.


2 comments:

  1. ohhhhh! How fabulous! Have the BEST time! :D cant wait to hear all about it!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I'm super excited - will take lots of pics and notes. :) Our tour travel agent is from Lindsborg, so I know he loves Scandinavia and there are some good things planned!

      Delete